Paying for someone else’s sins?

If you own a vehicle that has been impounded, but you were not responsible for committing the offence, you can apply to have it returned to you if at the time of the offence the vehicle was:

  • stolen or hired;
  • being serviced (i.e. by a mechanic);
  • for sale and had been taken for a test drive;
  • a business vehicle and was being used for business by an employee; or
  • a taxi belonging to a taxi-operator, not a driver.

You can also apply to have the vehicle released on the grounds that you will otherwise suffer manifest injustice or unfairness.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Related posts

The Road Traffic Act 1974 gives Police and the Courts the power to impound vehicles for certain traffic offences. In 2010, 2024 vehicles were seized under……
The Road Traffic Act 1974 sets out a scheme for the Court to follow when imposing drink driving penalties. The penalties if you held a full licence at……
You made a mistake.  You thought you were doing the right thing at the time.  Your plans fell through and you made a stupid……
Popular posts